Singer & Musician Zonke Dikana
Zonke came to Johannesburg in 1996 to live with her father where her plans involved studying at Wits University. The musical surroundings at her household, and encouragement from her step-moher Anneline Malebo, Zonke began doing backings and studio session work, causing studying to take a back seat and focus put on music.
Zonke Dikana’s album “Life, Love ‘N Music” talks about things that are important to her, her life, love and her music. She was struck with unfortunate event during the making of her album such as the passing of her mother and being involved in a car accident, however she was still able to make the album happen and release it to the public.
The sounds of Zonke Dikana is soul, collectively classified as Afro-Soul. Her musical influences include the likes of Busi Mhlongo and the late Miriam Makeba, with her all-time favourite artist being Brenda Fassie. Zonke has also written many hit songs for artists such as Theo Kgosinkwe, Winnie Khumalo and Tsepo Tshola.
Zonke has received a number of awards which include the following:
- SAMA award for Best Live DVD 2014 for “Give N Take Live”
- SAMA award for Best Traditional Album 2014 for “Give N Take Live”
- SAMA award for Best Contemporary album 2013 for “Ina Ethe”
- Metro Award for Best Female 2013
- Africa Music Video Award for Most Gifted Female 2013